My prayer for the children in my care is that they will learn to know their Savior better, to see Him throughout their day, to make the most of their God-given abilities, and to share their love for Him with others.
I grew up in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. My older brother, Steve, is retired from serving as a Staff Minister and lives with his wife in Hayward, WI. Keith, my younger brother is a Pastor of two WELS churches. He and his wife live near Mankato, Minnesota. My dad went Home to his Savior in 2005 and my mom joined him in 2013. I have been blessed with 3 nieces,4 nephews (with a few spouses)10 great-nephews and 4 great- nieces,and 9 godchildren.
Education and Experience
- 1973:Graduated from Michigan Lutheran Seminary
- 1977 : Graduated from Martin Luther College
- 1977: Taught grades 1-2 at St. Andrews in Chicago IL
- 1980-present: Taught combinations of grades 1-3 here at Star of Bethlehem
- 2010-present: 1st grade
In our classroom children are learning by using as many of the five senses as possible. They talk
about what they are learning. They learn to work in small groups and in centers. Music, singing
and movement are used often throughout the day.
Learning to read, write and spell in all subject areas is a main focus in 1st grade. A balanced
approach to reading is used. Different strategies needed for reading, including phonics, are taught
using ‘real’ books, stories, charts, lists, poems, and student-made projects.
Our math program helps the children learn a wide range of math concepts as well as arithmetic
skills. Hands-on and real-life math experiences are stressed.
Other Areas of Service in the Church and School
- Church organist
- Teach music for grades 1-2
- Co-direct other school and church singing
- Piano teacher
- Resource person for reading instruction
- Coordinator of our volunteer program (PAL)
- Coordinator of our faculty's Professional Development
- Serve as an Educational Mentor and Early Childhood Mentor for new teachers in WELS schools
- Supervise Martin Luther College student teachers