Pastor Jacob Schwartz
I am new to Star of Bethlehem as of October of 2016. I am very much looking forward to the many ministry opportunities that our gracious God has placed before me here in New Berlin!
My wife, Jamie, and I have 4 children, 2 girls and 2 boys. The oldest ones are in 2nd Grade and Kindergarten and are very much enjoying their new church and school home here at Star of Bethlehem. Jamie stays at home with the younger children. I enjoy spending time with my wife and kids, participating in and watching many different sports (especially football and basketball), and talking to people about our Savior.
Education and Experience
- I attended Luther Preparatory School (LPS) in Watertown, WI for high school.
- I graduated from Martin Luther College (MLC) in New Ulm, MN in 2008.
- I attended and graduated from the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in 2012.
- Prior to coming to Star of Bethlehem, I served for 4 years as the pastor of two churches in northeast Michigan, Trinity Ev. Lutheran Church in Lincoln, MI and St. John Ev. Lutheran Church in Mio, MI.
In the 7th and 8th Grade Confirmation Classes, we use a 2-year series entitled, Confirmed in the Faith. We spend the majority of our time in God's Word, learning what he teaches us there and then applying it to our daily Christian lives. To accomplish this, we also use Luther’s Small Catechism, as it teaches the truths of God's word in a very straight forward and simple way. We also train our students to listen to sermons on the weekends.
Other Areas of Service in the Church and School
- Here at Star of Bethlehem I have been called to oversee the following areas of ministry:
- Outreach, where we seek to carry out Jesus' Great Commission, that all believers go and share the good news of Jesus Christ with all the world. We do this on the local scale through outreach efforts, programs and events here in New Berlin, and on a global scale through our offerings which help support the work of missionaries around the world.
- Family, where we seek to help families understand God's purpose and role in the lives and by offering classes and programs to help strengthen the Christian homes of God's people.
- Youth, where we seek to minister to the young adults of our congregation by strengthening and building them up in their faith and Christian living through Bible Classes, get-togethers and fellowship opportunities, and service projects and trips, all the while working to connect them to and show them their part in the Church.